In the early childhood sector, Ready, Set, Go! 5210 aims to increase healthy eating and physical activity among children in child care settings. The childcare environment can play an important role developing health behaviors of children during formative years. Childcare activities can provide opportunities for physical activity, healthy eating, and role models for these behaviors.
As children age, their habits solidify. Good nutrition and plenty of physical activity are key to a young child's growth and development. The early years of childhood – from birth to age 5 – are a critical period for the development of these healthy behaviors that can have a lifelong impact on a child's quality of life.
5-2-1-0 Goes to Child Care is based upon the 10 Strategies for Success listed below, and uses a 6-step process to guide child care programs in creating an environment that supports healthy eating and physical activity for the children in their care.
- Limit unhealthy choices for snacks and celebrations; provide healthy choices.
- Limit or eliminate sugary drinks; provide water.
- Prohibit the use of food as a reward.
- Provide opportunities to get physical activity every day.
- Limit recreational screen time.
- Participate in local, state, and national initiatives that support healthy eating and active living.
- Engage community partners to help support healthy eating and active living at your site.
- Partner with and educate families in adopting and maintaining a lifestyle that supports healthy eating and active living.
- Implement a staff wellness program that includes healthy eating and active living.